1) Created an event on FB and invited a bunch of local friends. In the future, maybe I should put a little more thought into the day I have the party. I had a bunch of people want to come but they later realized that same day was also opening day (Jamboree Day as we call it in the south.) at the local baseball and softball parks. Lot's of people with kids couldn't come. Oh, well we still had fun.
2) Everyone that came was given instructions to bring one Pinterest inspired party/ finger food recipe for everyone to sample. I recommended if possible to bring the recipe printed or wrote out so everyone could leave with new recipes. But really that was kind of unnecessary since you could just as easily go back and find the recipe on someone's pinterest page.
3) We decided to make one DIY project. I gave a supply list of about $4 worth of items each person would need to bring with them. I also tried to have on hand extra material in case someone forgot. We decided on doing a nail art project. (pic's at the end of the post) In hind sight, that may not have been a good beginners project. Most everyone ended up taking their project home to finish. Also, those with arthritis in their hands, this was a difficult project. I never thought about that when I decided on project. So keep in mind each person and their ability level when you do a party. I've seen a couple of other options were each person brings a little baggie of supplies and printed out instructions on how to make your own DIY Pinterest inspired project. Then while at the party you draw numbers or play some type of white elephant gift game and each person leaves with the materials to go home and create their own project. That might be a better idea, especially if you are in a time crunch.
4) There were a few other things I wanted to do at the party, but it just didn't happen and with only a handful of people it was hard to accomplish things. A few other ideas is to ask people to write down on a piece of paper how many Pinterest Inspired DIY projects they seen in your home that you have already made. I know I have about 15 projects that were made via pinterest ideas in my house. I also made a few special things, like a cupcake tower just for the party. Some things would have been easily spotted while others not so easy. You could offer a prize to the person with the most correct answers. Another idea is to offer awards to the person with the most pins on their page or the most boards or maybe for the craziest category. Just make it fun.
5) EAT! That was probably the most fun part, just sitting around eating lots of good food and chatting with friends.
Here's my pics:
|I had to hide my centerpiece from my son. He wanted the jelly beans!|
|Food display table.|
|My little cousin (14) made this. Deviled eggs made to look like a flower. Super cute and easy.|
|This was my Pringles chip can turned DIY vase. Just wrapped twine around the can and inserted flowers. Easy, Peasy!|
|The INFAMOUS strawberries! These were delicious. Strawberries with the centers hallowed out and a cream cheese and cool whip dip inside. YUMMY, YUMMY|
|Look at all the food! My aunt Ann cooked way more than just one dish! She said she couldn't decide on one thing to cook so she cooked several. We didn't argue!|
|Left to right: Chicken bits wrapped in bacon with brown sugar topping, Ham and Cheese Sliders, Pizza Muffin Bites. (Notice my pinterest inspired printables in the back ground.)|
|In the crock pot was smoked sausage cooked in apple sauce. I'll be honest it didn't look very good while cooking, but it was delicious. Then Taco Egg Rolls and Taco Wanton bakes.|
|My mom and grandmother|
|Sitting around the table working on the DIY project.|
|This is what happened when one of the nails accidentally came out and she had to start all over. In the end, hers turned out really good, but I forgot to get the after pic.|
|A hot mess!|
Hopefully, you can see we had a great time. It was mainly family that came and one friend. But it was great. It's not very often we all get together, especially with no children involved. The one thing I forgot to take a picture of was the lemonade. It was so good. It was Country Time lemonade powder mix, a can of pineapple juice, 6 cans of sprite, and lemons cut up in it for garnish. It was so good. I would even dare say better than Chick-fil-a's lemonade. (Gasp, I know. But it's true)
Have you thought about hosting a party? You really should.