"For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ" John 1:17
I was reading a devotional book this morning and it was talking about how many of us have a "Grace Deficiency". We don't freely accept the grace that was given to us. Instead we beat ourselves up any time that we feel like we've messed up or failed at something. Now grace is not a license to do anything and everything w/out consequences, but grace is the ability to make a fresh new start. The devotion stated that many of us need "Grace Infusion."
----- Wow, How timely was this word for my life?
I know all too well about deficiencies and infusions. It wasn't two months ago that I found out I had a severe iron deficiency, almost to the point that had I continued without being treated it could have caused serious damage. I received 5 infusions of iron via IV. I don't think it's a coincidence that I read this devotion this morning and it related to my physical well being also. I decided to dig a little deeper on the subject. And find out what God had to say. Here's what I found out:
What does iron do for the body?
Iron is a mineral needed by our bodies. Iron is a part of all cells and does many things in our bodies. For example, iron carries oxygen from our lungs throughout our bodies. Iron also helps our muscles store and use oxygen. Iron is a part of many enzymes also. Enzymes help our bodies digest foods and also help with many other important reactions that occur within our bodies. When our bodies don't have enough iron, many parts of our bodies are affected. (adapted from the CDC website)
How does this relate to grace?
Grace is needed by everyone without grace we would still be living under the law of Moses. Which we know was not working, thus God sent his son Jesus. (John 3:16) Grace is like oxygen to our souls. Without grace we live under conviction and condemnation. Grace, when compared to an enzyme that helps digest foods, it is what allows us to digest the Word of God. We can read the Word of God two ways as a rule book of does and don'ts or through the eyes of grace as a love story and words of wisdom and guidance. Without grace our spiritual life is affected. Without grace our reactions to tough situations can be impaired.
What is an iron deficiency?
Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from too little iron in the body. Iron deficiency is the most common nutritional deficiency in the United States.
What is grace deficiency?
A condition resulting from not allowing ourselves or others to live in God's free grace. Grace deficiency is the most common reason people beat themselves up over every small mess up in life and live a life without joy.
What are the effects of an iron deficiency?
- Iron deficiency can delay normal thinking and processing skills.
- Iron deficiency anemia during pregnancy can increase risk for small or early (preterm) babies. Small or early babies are more likely to have health problems or die in the first year of life than infants who are born full term and are not small.
- Iron deficiency can cause fatigue that impairs the ability to do physical activity in adults. Iron deficiency may also affect memory.
- Iron deficiency causes a decreased immune function, which increases susceptibility to infection
- Severe iron deficiency may lead to a rapid or irregular heartbeat or an enlarged heart.
- It impairs our mental and spiritual function. We loose sight of what God's will is in our life. We live our lives thinking and processing things as if God is just waiting to hit us over the head with a stick every time we mess up.
- We never fully give birth to or give up to soon on the dreams that God has given us. We feel inadequate and unworthy. Grace deficiency can cause your dreams and visions to spiritually die prematurely.
- Grace deficiency will wear you out spiritually and physically. Trying to keep up with rules and regulations is exhausting. God knew we couldn't handle it, thus He sent his son. A grace deficiency will cause you to forget the blessings that God has promised you.
- Grace deficiency will leave you vulnerable to attacks from the enemy.
- Grace deficiency will cause unmerited stress on your heart and life.
Eating more nutritious foods, supplements, and if necessary iron infusions via IV. Also certain foods and vitamins aid in the absorption of iron and on the contrary certain foods and vitamins can hinder the absorption of iron.
How do you fix grace deficiency?
Consume more of God's word, supplement times of worrying and depression with prayer, and spend time in worship, enter into the very presence of God where he can wrap you in his arms and infuse his love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness into your life. Find friends and a church body that can help you absorb that grace. Avoid those people and places that seem to suck all of the life out of you.
I never knew that going through this time of getting my iron levels back up to the proper level would also be used as a parallel to God's grace in the future. It's amazing how God works like that. I hope someone that reads this can really reflect on God's true love and grace for them. You are NOT a failure. You are an over comer; with God all things are possible. Don't give up. If you mess up, stand up brush your knees off and try again!